Tuesday, December 10, 2013

As The World Remembers Nelson Mandela, We Remember That Beauty Isn’t Skin Deep.


This week Nelson Mandela passed on at the age of 95. He was a beautiful inspiration to all of us as we remember him and the grace that he embodied in the face of adversity. We sang “Free Nelson Mandela” in our 20’s and in the Boomer years, we love him for all that he has accomplished.

(CNN) -- Freedom fighter, prisoner, moral compass and South Africa's symbol of the struggle against racial oppression.

That was Nelson Mandela, who emerged from prison after 27 years to lead his country out of decades of apartheid.


 His message of reconciliation, not vengeance, inspired the world after he negotiated a peaceful end to segregation and urged forgiveness for the white government that imprisoned him.

"As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison," Mandela said after he was freed in 1990.

No comments: